What causes Dry Skin?
Dryness can result from any number of things that remove water from the skin. Skin care products, weather, and bathing habits are some of the most common causes of dry skin. Cool, dry weather causes the skin to lose moisture, and to chap or crack. Alcohol and astringents found in toners, aftershaves, and other products can also dry and irritate the skin. Hot water and prolonged bathing can lead to increased water loss and dryness. Scrubbing brushes, granular soaps, and antibacterial or deodorant soaps may also aggravate dry skin. Dry skin is treated by Dr. Green for patients in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland regions.
Dry Skin Do’s and Don’ts:
– Bathe or shower in warm water
– Limit bathing time to 5 minutes per shower or bath
– Add bath oil after your skin has soaked up some of the water
– Put on moisturizer right after bathing; use lotion after washing your hands
– Ask Dr. Green to recommend a non-comedogenic moisturizer (one the won’t make acne worse)
– Pat dry when you get out of the bath
– Rinse off chlorine and salt water
– Humidify your home in the winter, or year round if you live in a dry climate
– Take hot showers or baths
– Take long showers or baths
– Put bath oil in the tub while it is filling
– Towel vigorously
– Leave the bathroom without applying moisturizer
– Wash with a granular soap
– Use astringents or alcohol-based products
– Air dry after bathing or swimming
– Forget to shower after swimming
– Stay in dry air for 24 hours a day
“You cannot go wrong with this dermatologist. Dr. Green and his staff are the very best! They go out of their way to assure patient satisfaction. I have used many services in the Bethesda location, and have always been more than satisfied. I highly recommend Dr. Green.”
Dr. David Green, M.D.
Dr. David Green is a Board certified Dermatologist in Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Green specializes in Dermatology, Dermatologic Cosmetic and Laser Surgery and the treatment of Varicose Veins and vascular disorders.
He is Certified by the American Board of Dermatology, is a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology, and a Member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, and the American College of Phlebology. He treats patients from Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia and throughout the Mid Atlantic region.
Dr. David Green proudly offers services in his Bethesda, Maryland office.
4800 Montgomery Ln.,
Bethesda, MD 20814
OUR OFFICE IS COMPLIANT WITH THE CURRENT MARYLAND REGULATIONS INCLUDING:
10.32.09: Delegation and Assignment of Performance of Cosmetic Medical Procedures and Use of Cosmetic Medical Devices. This is a Maryland safety regulation that governs who can legally perform medical cosmetic procedures. Dr. Green administers all injectable treatments (including Botox™, Juvederm™, Voluma™, Kyblella™, and other fillers & Sclerotherapy) and laser treatments.