It’s only natural that as we age, fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and sagging skin start to appear. Whether aging skin is caused by your genetic make-up or factors such as environment, sun damage or lifestyle, there are many options available that provide younger, fresher looking skin for all ages. Aging skin treatments are performed by Dr. Green for patients in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland regions to help you look your best at any age.
Skin changes through the ages:
Ages 20 – 30: Although the skin is still smooth and supple, expression lines begin to appear on the forehead and around the eyes. Acne can develop even if absent in teenage years, and some scarring may occur from Acne flare-ups.
Ages 30 – 40: “Crow’s feet” appear around the eyes, and forehead lines deepen. Frown lines (lines between the eyebrows), nasolabial folds (lines that run from the nose to the mouth), and lines at the corners of the mouth begin to appear. Brown spots, sun spots, and other signs of sun damage begin to appear.
Ages 40 – 50: “Smoker” or “lipstick” lines appear above the vermilion border (along the top of the lip) and “commas” at the corners of the mouth deepen and lengthen to the chin. The vermilion border loses definition. Expression lines deepen around the mouth, forehead, and brows. The neck and “jowls” begin to sag.
Ages 50 – 60: During these years you’ll begin to notice several changes, including the redistribution of facial fat and softening definition of the cheeks. Sun spots and brown spots darken and become more numerous. “Frown” lines and expression lines continue to deepen and the neck becomes pouchy and lined.
Which aging skin treatments do I need?
To determine the appropriate treatment, Dr. Green will first discuss your desired level of correction and then recommend the appropriate treatment. Fine to moderate wrinkles, broken blood vessels, age spots, Acne scars, and mildly sagging skin respond well to many non-invasive procedures. For changes related to gravity and redistribution of facial fat, surgical procedures may be needed in addition to your ongoing non-invasive skin care treatments.
What are wrinkle prevention treatments for aging skin?
Botox® is one of the most recognized wrinkle fighters. It prevents wrinkles from appearing by relaxing the underlying muscles so they don’t contract. Botox® blocks impulses from the nerve to the tiny facial muscles that are related to Expression Lines. After treatment, the overlying skin remains smooth and unwrinkled while the untreated facial muscles contract in a normal fashion, allowing your normal facial expression to be unaffected.
Fillers may also provide some reduction in deep facial wrinkles. These injections improve the appearance of deep wrinkles by plumping the skin to provide a more youthful appearance. Juvederm® fillers are commonly used in the office.
What are treatments for altered skin texture and sagging in aging skin?
There are various options for treating aging skin. The treatment recommended for you will depend upon the amount of alteration your skin has sustained. Below are some of the treatments we offer here at the office.
– Microdermabrasion removes the outermost layer of skin to reveal softer, smoother and fresher looking skin. Click here to learn more about Microdermabrasion.
– Thermage® CPT uses radiofrequency energy to promote collagen production, which may tighten loose and sagging skin. Fine lines and wrinkles can also be softened. Click here to learn more about Thermage® CPT.
– Photo Rejuvenation with IPL treats brown spots and redness associated with broken capillaries. IPL may also improve the appearance of fine lines. Click here to learn more about IPL.
– Light Chemical Peels gently exfoliate, smooth and soften the skin while gently removing the outer skin cell layer. Light chemical peels can renew your skin’s texture and improve its clarity. Click here to learn more about light chemical peels.
– Fractional Lasers send light pulses into the dermis while leaving the epidermis intact, stimulating your body’s own collagen which gradually improves your skin’s appearance. Click here to learn about our Fractional Lasers.
How do I maintain my results after treatment?
For optimum results, it’s important to follow up your skin care rejuvenation treatments with the appropriate home skin care regimen. Our staff is trained to help you select the correct skin care products based on your skin type, your desired level of improvement, your tolerance to ingredients, and your lifestyle.